Fixed term contract part time (9 months maternity leave)
DEADLINE for Applications: 12.00pm Thursday, 24th October 2019
Creekside Education Trust
Creekside Education Trust runs the Creekside Discovery Centre on Deptford Creek. The Centre provides an exciting range of indoor and outdoor activities for all ages that include discovery walks in Deptford Creek at low tide. Participants wear waders and are able to wade through the water, experiencing an urban wild river while gaining insight into biodiversity, wildlife, and the history of the area. We deliver educational sessions on science, history and geography for thousands of local children every year. Families, community groups, and pre-school groups also participate in various activities. Creekside Discovery Centre is unique, being situated in a completely urban context. The grounds are managed for maximum biodiversity with over 300 species of wildflower on a site of under 0.26 hectares.
Creekside Education Trust Learning Deliverers are a team responsible for delivery of outdoor education sessions during term time at Creek Discovery Centre. The sessions include low tide walks within Deptford Creek. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in delivering environmental education and learning outside the classroom in a unique setting in London. This position is for two days a week with flexibility to be term time only.
- Delivery of outdoor education sessions for primary schools focusing on rivers, local wildlife, science, local history and geography.
- Comply with all Creekside Education Trust health and safety procedures, including risk assessments.
- Adhere to the policies as laid out in the Creekside Education Trust Staff Handbook including safeguarding and child protection.
- Setting up and clearing away before and after sessions. This can include tidying, sweeping, organising resources, moving tables, chairs and benches and tidying bathrooms.
- Assist with promoting Creekside Education Trust and our activities. This can include contributions to our social media accounts and our website.
- Support and supervise any volunteers involved in the delivery of education sessions.
- Complete any other task reasonably requested by the Coordinator or other staff members.
- Experience of working with primary school aged children
- Demonstrable interest in history, geography or science
- Experience in delivering out of classroom learning
- Willingness to work as part of a supportive team but also able to act on own initiative
- Confident and comfortable in dealing with a range of schools, volunteers and members of the public as well as groups and individuals
- IT skills including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook email, Google Calendar
- Willingness to support pupils with physical, emotional, behavioural or learning difficulties and to enable their inclusion within visits to Creekside Discovery Centre
- Ability to maintain a calm and positive learning environment
- Enthusiasm for the role and a genuine interest in our charity, Creekside Education Trust
- Website management skills and experience of developing a social media following e.g. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- First Aid at Work qualification (training or refresher training can be provided if required)
Creekside Education Trust is an equal opportunities employer and will not discriminate. Given the physical nature of this post including walking on a steep sided river bank and a river bed with an uneven rocky surface, if you do have mobility issues, please contact the Coordinator directly to find out more about the role. This role is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
To apply for this role, please complete the application form and send it by email to or by post to Creekside Discovery Centre, 14, Creekside, Deptford, SE8 4SA
Deadline for applications: 12.00pm Thursday, 24th October 2019.
Interviews will be held on Friday 1st November. Please notify on your application if you are unable to attend an interview on this date.